Recipe Makeover: Vij's Lamb Popsicles
She's a true Irish woman I tell ya. Wanting to make my mama proud, I whipped up some lamb chops and the world's best crispy roasted potatoes (video tutorial to come).
One of my favourite lamb recipes is Vij's lamb popsicles. I've made this Indian twist on lamb popsicles more times than I can count and am obsessed with the flavour combination of tumeric and fenugreek.
This time I lightened up the sauce by making a yogurt dip with similar spices to eat with the lamb and potatoes. It was absolutely delicious. If I was given this dip with a bowl of roasted potatoes alone I'd be blissfully happy.
Most importantly, my mom loved it. And paired with a wonderful red wine and conversation with her two sons, she went to bed knowing she is appreciated by all of us.
Lightened up Lamb Popsicles
- 9 lamb chops
- olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- Rosemary, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (plain)
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp ground Fenugreek flakes (known as 'kasuri methi')
- Juice from one lemon
- Fresh parsley
- Mix olive oil, Dijon garlic, rosemary, white wine and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add lamb; turn to coat. Let marinate at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add lamb; cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and roast lamb chops to desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium-rare.
- Mix yogurt dip and top with fresh parsley.
- Transfer lamb to platter, cover, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice or roasted potatoes.