Cheezy Green Scramble
When I'm deciding what to eat I generally ask myself "How will that make me feel?" When I'm looking for a meal that will make my whole body feeling amazing, this cheezy green scramble is my go-to. It includes my favourite feel good foods: coconut oil, eggs, greens, and nutritional yeast.
The nutritional yeast is the "cheeze". Easier on most tummies than traditional cheese, nutritional yeast is not the same as baking yeast, active dry yeast, or brewer’s yeast. It doesn’t contain alcohol, won’t cause or exacerbate an overgrowth of Candida, and will not leaven your baked goods. So what is it exactly?
Good quality nutritional yeast is made from a single-celled organism of fungi. In a controlled environment it is cultured and grown on molasses and then deactivated, harvested, washed and dried. Deactivation prevents it from being used as a leavening agent.
In France nutritional yeast is usually sold in a box promoting it's beauty boosting benefits for your skin, nails and hair. This is because it is full of the beautifying B-complex vitamins (some brands including B12), trace minerals and all 18 amino acids. B vitamins also help convert food to energy, minimize depression, insomnia, nervousness, fatigue, trembling, loss of appetite, PMS, mood change and improve memory.
Don't you feel better already? It's also incredible on popcorn (seriously, like that cheap powdered cheese you loved as a teenager but even better) and avocado toast.
This ain't the prettiest dish, but it sure is one of my favourites and it takes about two minutes to make. Enjoy!
Cheezy Green Scramble
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup shredded cabbage and carrot
- 3 tbsp tamari (gluten-free)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- sriracha for topping (optional)
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and fry up your kale and shredded vegetables on a high heat.
- Add tamari, keep stirring, and add a splash of water to de-glaze the pan if needed.
- When vegetables are cooked, crack in two eggs, and stir quickly until cooked (this takes seconds.)
- Remove from heat and top with nutritional yeast and sriracha if desired (it's always desired in my world.)