Simple food is the best food. I made this soup for my amazing aunt who just got home from a big trip and was feeling a under the weather. She is superwoman and I knew she needed something to get her through the week.
I wanted to make the most nourishing soup that could easily be reheated and enjoyed again. Lucky for me, she picked up a ton of beautiful produce at the market so it was easy to find inspiration.
If you're looking for a cozy, healthy meal, make a huge batch of this and enjoy leftovers all week.
Fall Harvest Chicken Soup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 carrots
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 5 boneless skinless pastured chicken breasts (you can also use bone-in and remove the meat from the bone after cooking the soup)
- 2 tsp sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tsp mixed dried herbs (parsley, sage, oregano)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 5 small sweet potato
- one butternut squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 lemon
- handful of fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400F or 200C
- Finely chop the onions and garlic, then slice the carrots and set aside. Place olive oil large soup pot under medium-high heat and add the onions and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minutes. Then, add the garlic and stir for 1 minute then add the herbs. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Add the carrots and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pot then add the broth to cover the chicken. Add salt and pepper, then turn the heat to high and allow the liquid to come to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, place a lid on top and cook for about 50-60 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop your sweet potatoes and squash into dice sized chunks, cover in olive oil and sea salt, and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After the soup is done cooking, turn off the heat and remove the chicken breasts with tongs and place on a plate. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes or until it's cool to the touch. If using bone-in breasts, remove the meat from the bone and use a fork (or your hands) to shred the chicken into thick strands. If using boneless/skinless breasts just begin shredding the chicken into thick strands. Place the shredded chicken back into the soup pot.
- Chop zucchini and add to pot, stir, bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and allow to simmer.
- Add roasted squash and sweet potatoes, fresh basil and lemon, simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with side salad (see below).
Mixed Greens with Basil Vinaigrette
- Mixed greens
- Fresh mixed herbs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Roasted beets
- Basil vinaigrette: blend a handful of basil, 2 freshly squeezed lemons, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup white wine vinegar, 2 cloves of garlic and salt and pepper